ISPM 15 (solid timber)
International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPM) No. 15 requires all solid wood packing material to be heat treated and stamped with an official mark. ISPM 15 requirements apply to all hardwood and softwood (coniferous and non-coniferous) packaging materials, including Dunnage, to avoid the risk of pest infestation. The crate and wood used require an approved stamp like the example below from an accredited Agency. If at time of export from the US the wood does not have a noticeable stamp, it is typically re-palletized on plastic or ISPM-certified wood with the required stamp or, in the case of FCL container cargo, it can be fumigated using Methyl Bromide, in which case a certificate is issued.
- Trademark – the identifying symbol, logo, or name of the accredited agency
- Facility Identification – product manufacturer name, brand or assigned facility number
- Heat Treated mark
- Country Code – the two letter ISO country abbreviation
- Approved International symbol for compliant wood packaging material
- Indication for use as dunnage (may be abbreviated or spelled out fully)